Monday, September 28, 2015

Drew Brees planning to play Week 4, depends on ‘functionality’ of shoulder

Drew Brees

Drew Brees missed a game on Sunday for the first time since 2008, and it remains unclear if he will have to miss another.

On Sunday, the New Orleans Saints quarterback admitted he is unsure of his situation heading into Week 4 but once again plans to play.

“I don’t know my situation this week. I’m day to day,” Brees told Cox Sports Television, via NFL.com’s Kevin Patra. “I plan to and expect to start on Sunday but if I don’t we’re in good hands with Luke (McCown).”

McCown did a decent job against the Carolina Panthers and kept the Saints in the game, completing 31 of 38 passes for 310 yards, an interception and no touchdowns. New Orleans lost 27-22, but many expected it to be a lot worse.

Brees, who was seen enthusiastically clapping on the sidelines Sunday, said he is not dealing with much pain in his shoulder but needs to regain his strength before he can help the team.

“It’s what I can do with my arm. It’s not about pain,” he explained. “It’s about strength, it’s about mobility, it’s about functionality. Can I make the throws that I’m required to make within this offense for us to be successful? If I am, I play. If not, then Luke plays.”

If this report is accurate, it could be at least another week before we see Brees again. The frightening thing for the Saints is they didn’t look that good with Brees playing. Their chances of making the playoffs are incredibly slim.



from Larry Brown Sports http://ift.tt/1KOArqz

No comments:

Post a Comment