Monday, July 10, 2017

Japan Stories: Junko Yashiro | News | Architonic

Junko Yashiro is an urushi lacquerware artist who does initial woodwork in addition to applying lacquer. The objects she creates are only for daily use. Her unique style produces beautifully crafted surfaces that combine the rough textures of wood with urushi coats ranging from black to silver. Junko Yashiro talks about her career and her unique urushi lacquerware style. <b>How did you discover lacquerware as a profession?</b> After middle school I went to an art-related school that inspired me to become an urushi lacquer artist. I was supposed to go to their associated university. Somehow during highschool, I realized that I wanted to see more of the outside world. So I took my exam to enter one of the best art universities in Japan. During my college years I didn’t think I would be able to become an artist. I didn’t have the desire to do that. I wanted to be employed by a company. There were certain companies where I wanted to get a job after graduation, but I failed. So… continue



from New stories by Architonic http://ift.tt/2v625P3

No comments:

Post a Comment