Monday, May 2, 2016

Material Tendencies: Karim Rashid | Architonic

The New York-based designer and architect spoke to Architonic about his democratic choice of materials, giving us a small glimpse into his versatile world of interests. <b>If you had to restrict yourself to working with just one material for the next three years, which one would you choose?</b> Karim Rashid: I work with every material. I have been working for 30 years now with glass and ceramics and different alloys. But if I am stuck with one material, I think I would either work with sugarcane-derived polypropylene, which does not rely on petroleum, or I would choose a biodegradable polymer. <b>Why these choices?</b> There are three criteria: one is sustainability and 100% choice for the environment. I prefer to work with recyclable and disposable materials. Second, it should be a very democratic, inexpensive material, so that I can make something for a massive audience. Plastic enables my designs to be more accessible on the market. And it is a material that has phenomenal pr



from New stories by Architonic http://ift.tt/1rgb9OM

No comments:

Post a Comment